Joey Swagga Interview (The Cool Kids Music Video/Short Film Premier)

Martin’s Lounge - 1919 9th Street. N.W. Washington D.C. September 15, 2011

Recently I,Insight Seeker traveled to a local lounge in the northwest section of our Nation’s Capital with none other than Monet “MoMo” Wright at my side. We were lucky enough to catch up with several artist at this premier event and catch up on a few of their upcoming projects to look out for in the closing months of 2011 and in the opening of 2012.

Among the many performers, producers, developers, directors and local entrepreneurs our primary focus was on our natives to DC, The Cool Kids. Headlining their roster, with his media mainstream buzz continuing to climb, is Tabi Boney, who was in the crowd promoting his newest video release “Parachute”.

“MoMo” managed to catch the attention of one of the members of The Cool Kids music group, good friend and very talented recording artist “Joey Swagga”, and convince him to sit and chat with myself [Insight Seeker] and shed light on some of his upcoming works.


Insight: Whassup Joey what’s good?

Joey Swagga: It’s all good; you already know what it is

Insight: Right and I see y’all are doing big things. So for those who don’t really know, exactly how long have The Cool Kids been on the scene?

Joey Swagga: Well we’ve been out for several years building a foundation. I, myself, joined the company a few months ago and have been rockin’ wit’ it ever since non-stop. They’re definitely my home base.

Insight: Aight I see, as a matter of fact you just put out an album didn’t you?

Joey Swagga: Yeh I just dropped my first solo mix-tape, 2011 “Little Child Runnin’ Wild” and look out for that “Back to Business” mix-tape coming soon too. Y’all forgive me I’m in my {chill} mode right now.I won’t give you the date for that yet, I want y’all to follow me on twitter @JoeySwagga301 and stay updated on everything I’ll be sure to keep everybody informed.

Insight: Good and I got a chance to hear a few of the tracks and see you recording a few so I know the work you put into the “Little Child Runnin’ Wild” project but may I ask, what was your overall inspiration to the theme of that album?

Joey Swagga: The inspiration for the album was Supa Fly the movie, dated in the 1970’s so we wanted to do a theme that brought a Curtis Mayfield, Pam Grier vibe to it but like, with a today’s feel. Something that was real ‘slick’ ya can ride to, move to somethin’ the ladies can really groove to yanno, that swagg!? I know I honestly didn’t expect for this to be my first project and I’m extremely happy with how it turned out. So that’s a blessin’ in itself.

Insight: Mos’ def’ so do you have anything in the works as far as videos or any other production projects? Anything you’re working on where the people might get a chance to catch up to your performances or where they can get to see you?

Joey Swagga: We’re looking forward to shooting a video for the single “#Choosin” on the [Little Child Runnin’ Wild] album. All that good stuff so look out for that soon. That’ll be the next one out, we’re always doing shows, we have a Howard Homecoming performance scheduled (you can find details on my twitter page). Really we’re just trying to get this mix- tape out before the New Year.

Insight: Cool, now who are some of the artist you worked with on this upcoming mix-tape, who can we look forward to hearing you link up with in the booth?

Joey Swagga: This time around? I got 1080 Beats, I’m thinking about hookin’ up with Dirty Rebel, I linked up with Lois Black, Trell just a few I don’t want to give out all my magic. It’ll definitely be a different feel to it, a whole different sound. We come back even harder this time for y’all do be ready for that, that’s the “Back to Business” project.

Insight: Right right, always workin’ I see. Good so let me ask you this. Being an indie artist in the DMV, everybody is unique and gifted but what do you feel that you yourself bring to the indie community in music or otherwise?

Joey Swagga: As far as DMV, it’s filled with a lot of characters or rather people doing their thing. I, myself, just try to keep it 100 and do my thing. I’m always going to be honesy, never slack and just be me. That’s all joey Swagga can do is be myself, yanno? I think if we just do what we all truly do and not act it out, we can just pretty much maintain the realness of our music. It’s us, who we are and what we do. That’s pretty much all I’m trying to bring, originality.

Insight: That’s whassup ok well I won’t take up too much more of your time. I thank you for sitting for a minute to talk to the people.

Joey Swagga: Mos’ def, anytime. Aye definitely a big shout out to the whole community, the listeners and all the other artist out here grindin’. Big shout out to Wowuradio, CaribGem, Insight Seeker, MoMo and everybody else. Look out for #TheCoolKids and Tabi Boney’s new video “Parachute” coming soon to MTV. Much Love Everybody!!


Joey Swagga and all of The Cool Kids’ music producers, video production staff, engineers and music artists have been working very hard to bring you their newest film and video ventures. According to Joey Swagga , they will continue to do so and have a lot of things in store for the upcoming months into the New Year. As MoMo and I work our way through the crowd meeting several other DMV artist we bump into another very motivated man on a mission. Check out more on the Indie Newz section on www.wowuradio.net and listen to great Indie music!

--
by Insight Seeker, Creative Director, W.O.W Radio
Follow on Twitter: @AgentL7

No comments:

Post a Comment